Pet Valu Walk for Dog Guides
On May 27th 2018 (and in the fall for select communities) join us and walk for Dog Guides. Getting started is easy, and the walk is a lot of fun.
“First time dog walkers walking the Pet Valu Walk for Dog Guides can expect a fun day out in your community alongside friends, family and co-workers. The walk is also a great place to meet some of our Dog Guides and the people they assist,” says Maria Galindo, Communications Manager for Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides.
How to get started:
Sign up for your local walk at walkfordogguides.com and let your friends, family and colleagues know that you will be walking for Dog Guides. The Pet Valu Walk for Dog Guides is designed to be fun and motivating to everyone – so don’t worry about having to prepare too much. “Most Walks are 5 kms in length. All of the Walks are accessible to individuals using wheelchairs and other mobility aids, and participants can enjoy the Walk with their dogs or without,” adds Maria.
If you sign up early, don’t be afraid to start fundraising right away. “It’s never too early to start! The earlier the better,” encourages Maria. “You can register online as a walker or sign up as a team captain and challenge your friends. You can also use the Walk donation form to collect donations, or make a donation online to the Walk of your choice.” You can also use your social media accounts to encourage everyone to head over to your walk page and donate.
When you ask for support, here are Maria’s top facts to mention:
- All Dog Guides are provided at no cost to qualified applicants despite costing $25,000 to train and place.
- Dog Guides help Canadians with disabilities live safer and more independent lives.
- There is a growing demand for Dog Guides.
- 100% of all donations go to providing Dog Guides to Canadians with disabilities.
- Tax receipts are issued automatically for all donations more than $20.
- Donations can be made by cheque, cash, telephone, in person, or online by credit card.
How you will be helping
The Pet Valu Walk for Dog Guides is the biggest fundraising event for Dog Guides. Dog Guides make a huge impact in the lives of Canadians with visual, hearing, medical or physical disabilities. Each Dog Guide is life-changing to their partner – allowing a Canadian and their family a new sense of independence and freedom. Dog Guides receives no government funding and there is no cost to the Canadian who is paired up with one of these amazing dogs. You can be a part of making the difference, and that is something to be proud of!
Can’t make it? You can still make a difference by participating in one of our fundraising programs at your local Pet Valu store or donate to Dog Guides year-round on their website.
What to bring
- Your donation form
- Treats for your pet (and a snack for you!)
- Pet waste bags
- A sturdy collar or harness and a leash (we don’t recommend retractable leashes for group settings)
- Water for you both (though most walks also have bowls and refreshment stops)
- A comfy pair of shoes
- Some spending money – many walks will have a charity bbq or raffle.
- A great attitude and be ready to have fun!
Did you know:
- The Walk for Dog Guides started in 1985 and has raised over $15 Million Dollars
- Pet Valu was thrilled to become the named sponsor of the walk in 2017 – and together we raised over $1.4 million! 300 walks took place across Canada in 2017
- Tax receipts are issued automatically for all donations more than $20
Sign up for the Pet Valu Walk for Dog Guides:
Learn more about our partnership with Dog Guides and meet some of our teams: petvalu.com/giving-back
Make sure to tag @petvalu in your walk pics and use #WalkForDogGuides